A stone throw away from Thorn lies Wessem, a typical village of the region, whose early beginnings were documented as far back as the 10th century. Wessem is characterised by many striking buildings with beautiful facades dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. They call to mind times when the River Maas was used as a major trading route. The extent of the market square provides an indication of how important Wessem really was as a place of trade and commerce. In 1118, Wessem was awarded various rights which equated to a town charter, and various legal and other official documents refer to the Town of Wessem.